Monday, August 27, 2012

Start of a New Transfer

This has been a busy week. I got my new companion on Wednesday. His name is Elder Shelley. He is from Springville Utah and is a nice guy. Him and I get along very well. He has been out 20 months and has had a lot of funny experiences on his mission. I can see us working well together for this transfer. He is fairly quiet, and I am pretty loud. So I think that it works out pretty well. 
     We have had a lot of work to do. Our apartment needed a lot of cleaning up (not because of me of course). Our area book and map needed a lot of work (also not because of me haha). So we have spent quite awhile updating those two things. In the past my area has struggled. Elder Shelley and I are going to make this one of the most productive areas in the mission. We are both very determined people. We are setting our goals high and going to achieve them. 

      I had a great experience yesterday. I had the opportunity to confirm Glovia and give her the gift of the Holy Ghost. I was very nervous to do this in front of the whole congregation. I did a pretty good job though. I just had to speak from my heart and the spirit told me what to say. I am becoming a lot more comfortable in front of the ward. I love all the members so much and am getting to know them all very very well. 
      I had dinner with Brother Berg a couple nights ago and had a great time. He and his wife are so awesome! She really did date Connor Oberst from Bright Eyes! She has all these stories about him and even pictures! My mind was blown. We talked a lot about music and even told me some cool bands to look up when I get home. I gave her the names of a couple favorite bands and told her to look them up. I love the Bergs so much. They make me SO excited to have a family of my own. They don't have much... But they have each other and they seem like two of the happiest people I have ever met. 
      Sad news, my best buddy Brother Lisonbee is moving in three weeks. He is our ward mission leader and is the greatest guy on the planet. He is such a spiritual giant and knows his stuff. He is very close with the missionaries. I was so sad when he told me he was leaving. I hope to stay in contact with him and remain his friend. 

      Remember Maxene? She is the lady I talked about awhile back. I met her on MARTA and I felt really comfortable talking to her. Well we have tried contacting her awhile ago and she was never home. The people home said to come back on Saturday. So that is exactly what we did. We came back on Saturday and knocked on the door and no answer... So we walked back down to the bus stop. A few minutes later Maxene walks down to the bus stop and says "Elder Romero?" and I was so surprised! She remembered my name and even walked all the way down to the bus stop to search us out! She told us that she was sorry she didn't answer the door because she was asleep. She invited us back up to her apartment and we had a fantastic lesson. We talked about the Doctrine of Christ and the Book of Mormon. She looooved it. She was so interested in the Book of Mormon. When the lesson was done she set her own return appointment. Maxene is awesome and I can't wait to become her better friend and help her grow spiritually. 

       Shaun is doing well. He has a baptismal date for September 8th. I think that it will probably be moved back though. He has a fear of coming to church... and church that is a pretty essential thing to becoming a member of the church. To help him over come his fear I invited him to take a tour of the church with us. We took him to the church and showed him all the pictures on the wall and talked about all of them. He loved it. We had a member come with us named Bro Thompson. He is an older man that rips on the saxophone. They really got along well. Shaun got his number and is hopefully going to come with him to church this upcoming week! 

        I am getting better at piano. I can play a few of my favorite hymns now. It is such a treat to have an opportunity to play the piano. I love things where I can see myself improve. I love growing and learning new things. I am learning a lot about many different kinds of religion. I am learning a lot about how churches came to be and what they believe. It is very very interesting. I am learning a lot of stuff from the members too. I found out something AMAZING a week or two ago. A member in the ward knew I was interested into going into Bio-Medical Engineering after I graduate from BYU. He told me that Georgia Tech and Emory medical school have a joint program where you can get your masters in Bio-Medical Engineering and become a Medical Doctor!!!! My two dreams combined into one program!!! I am definitely going to set my goals high and strive towards this.
       
        I  don't have much more time to write. I am doing pretty well. I have been quite a bit more stressed than I am used to and it is throwing me off my groove. Missions are constant change, and I am not the biggest fan of change. I like to get in my routine and stick to it. I know that is something that I need to learn to handle. I know that I have a lot of growing up to do. I can tell that I am becoming stronger and that I have grown up immensely since the start of my mission. I can't wait to see what God has in store for me in the future. I just need to keep having faith that his plans for me are better than the plans that I have for myself. If I can understand that, then this constant change won't seem so difficult. 

       I hope to have some interesting stories for y'all next week. Love you guys so much! Hope to hear from anyone that reads this. 

-Elder Ryan Romero

No comments:

Post a Comment