Monday, December 31, 2012

A New Year

  The end of the year is here. Goodness. Time goes by so quickly. I love New Years. I loved setting goals with my family and making toasts to the new years and to our goals. I still remember the Goals I set with my family last year. It was to get into the BYU Mechanical Engineering Program and to go on a mission. I am glad to say that I accomplished both of those goals. I need to think really hard about what my goals are going to be this year. I have a few things in mind, but they are still in the making. 

      The highlight of my week was being able to call home. Hearing the voices of my loved ones really made my Christmas. It wasn't the presents that I opened, or the great food. It was being able to communicate with the people I love so dearly. It really brought a whole new aspect to Christmas that I never before realized. I have never had a Christmas away from my family. I have never spent a Christmas outside the state of Utah. I am sad to say that before my mission I didn't really understand much about Christmas. When I hit the age of about 14 Christmas kind of lost it's spirit. I assumed that it was just because I was growing up that Christmas lost it's spirit, but I have come to realize that Christmas never lost it's spirit. It was always there. I just got so caught up in the material things of Christmas that I lost my spirit of Christmas. While talking to my family I got that same feeling that I would get when I was young. Sitting in my living room with my family exchanging brother gifts and enjoying each other's company. The spirit there would be so strong and it would just warm my soul. While talking on the phone I got that same feeling as I did when I was young. It is too easy to take things as important as family for granted. I am glad for the opportunity that I had this Christmas to reflect on really what is important. 

      Not much has happened this week. The Roldan family is out on vacation this week for the Holidays so we didn't get to meet with them. We have met quite a few times with Tony and Kim, and they are really progressing. Kim calls us her sons. I told them that when I go home that I am taking them with me. Tony was excited because he wants to see the Salt Flats. Haha. I really love these two. Tony is so excited about The Book of Mormon. I have never seen anyone as excited about it than he is. He finds it absolutely FASCINATING. It makes sense to him, and he reads it to Kim every night. We are hoping that they will come to Church the upcoming Sunday. Tony has a few health problems that makes it kind of difficult for him to come to Church, but we know that they will come soon. 

      One of my goals for the new year is to really work hard. Harder than I have worked in the past. I really want to change and become a different person. Not a complete different person, but a better person. I want to have the integrity of the Apostles and truly have the same desire to follow Christ as they do. I want to know more about all the Scriptures. Every single book. My goal is to study my heart out. 

     I have got to get going. But I love you all so much. I hope that you all have a great new year. I hope to hear from anyone who reads this soon! I love you guys! 

-Elder Ryan Romero 


No comments:

Post a Comment