Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Second Week in Hotlanta

Hello Everyone, 

     Today has been a busy week. I have done a lot of stuff. So I still don't have a library card so I don't have a lot of time to write emails or read them... So I am going to have to be kind of quick. I'll start out by telling you more about where I am serving, then I will tell you about the people  I am teaching. 

     Like I said in the last email I am serving in a town called Lithonia. It's a little ways from the big city. Atlanta is interesting because you can go down one street that is super ghetto, then you could go down the next and it will be very nice. The apartments that I am staying aren't very nice. They are safe... So don't worry parents. The first day I got there there was this car with HUGE rims on it. The next day the rims were stolen off the car and these piece of crap ones were placed on it. Haha. I have pictures I will attach to the email. There are very interesting people all over the city. Like I said in the last letter, my companions and I are literally the only white people in the city. Some people around here really don't like Mormons. We walked out of a store one day and this guy yelled at us and said, "Hey, you guys Mormons." and we said, "Yeah, you've heard of us?" and he said, "Yeah, you guy's in a cult, Joseph Smith is in hell. You guys in multiple wives and gay marriage. That's all a sin." Then we said, "You obviously know nothing about our religion." and tried to give him a pass along card with our website on it. Haha. It was pretty funny honestly. It is amazing to see how much people do not know about the Mormons. 



Car that rims were switched out on

     There are trees everywhere. I have never been to a place that has as dense forests as there are here. You never know where you are at. You cannot tell which way is North. It is so confusing and often gives me headaches. Coming from Utah where you ALWAYS know where you are at, it really sucks going to somewhere where you never know where you are at. I will get used to it though. I did not think that it was going to be this green. Atlanta is a really cool city, and the towns around it are really cool too. You can't tell that you are in a city or a rural area because you always feel like you are in a forest of green. It reminds me a lot of pictures of the Sacred Grove. 

     So I will start telling you about the people. The first person I want to talk about it Leesa. She is going to be baptized on August 4th. She is so excited. She is scared we are going to drop her and she is going to drown though. Hahaha. She is an amazing lady. She has investigated almost every religion. She called us yesterday on the phone crying saying, "My search is done." She has been through so much, and it is such an amazing experience for me to be able to bring peace to someone that has been searching for it their whole life. 

     The next person I want to talk about is a man named Antonio. He is a buff black man. He works at a car stereo place. He is awesome! He is the kindest man. He has a wife that is a less active member and two children. He is interested in the church and wants to learn more about the Priesthood. Antonio loves meeting with us and loves the spirit that we bring into his home. I get excited every time we meet with Antonio because him and I get along so well. I love people that I can make laugh, and there aren't very many people that I can make laugh. Haha. 

     There are a lot more people that I would like to talk about but I just don't have the time. =(. I am going to get a library card next week so hopefully I will have a little more time.

     I'd like to share my testimony before I go. I know that this Church brings people peace and happiness. I know that because I am seeing the change that it is bringing into people's lives. I know that by living the gospel you can experience peace and happiness in this life more than you can by any other means. I love teaching the people of Atlanta. I love them so much. I know that Jesus Christ is a perfect example for us to follow. By following the doctrine of you can become more like him and have all the attributes that he possesses. You can have faith, hope, and charity. You can have a love for people that you don't even know. You can have your anger towards your worst enemy disappear.  You can be forgiven for any mistakes that you may have made. I know that this Church is true and I know that the Book of Mormon is the word of God and that you can find peace and happiness in its teachings. 

     I can't wait to tell you guys all about next week. I love you all. 
     




Elder Green, Elder Romero, Unknown Elder, Elder Pettit in MTC





No comments:

Post a Comment