Monday, October 7, 2013

Conference Week, My Favorite Week


What a great opportunity we had this week to hear from the prophets of God. I love conference so much. This conference really gave me the spiritual uplift that I needed this week. I don't even know where to start. I loved it so much, I feel like every talk was written just for me. Subjects were talked about that I didn't think would ever be talked about in conference, yet they were exactly what I needed to hear. I love knowing that the General Authorities are not given topics to speak about, but seek revelation and speak about what God wants them to speak about. I love seeing the trends in the talks. It is important to realize that they prophets and apostles are not just speaking for the church, but for the entire world. Just think how much better of a place this world would be if everyone sat down and listened to these oracles of God and took heed to their words.
      I had a couple talks stick out to me. David M. McConkie's talk spoke to me, because his words were my words. If you read my last letter and listened to this talk, then you will understand what I mean by this. This talk was specatular. So well layed out and so clear on how to become a powerful teacher. First I want to say that I was not aware at all that Marion G Romney said word for word exactly what I said to the Elder I was on an exchange with. I told him that I know that I am teaching by the spirit when I learned something from the lesson I taught. When David M. McConkie said this quote I stood up out of my seat and said, "Whoa, I just said that exact thing like two weeks ago!" I was so excited. The Gospel is truly amazing. I did not come to this conclusion of teaching by the spirit by reading about it in any book, or hearing it from any other person. I came to the conclusion you know when you are teaching by the spirit when you learn something from what you teach from my own personal experiences. I was so excited that Marion G Romney came to the same conclusion that I came to through his own experiences. It just shows how true the Gospel is.
      Elder Holland's talk, as always, spoke to me. He spoke on the subject of depression. This was a talk that I feel a lot of people needed to hear. It was something that I needed to hear. Throughout my mission I've stuggled with depression. I've gotten down and sometimes it's felt like something I just could not get out of. I won't go too deep into the details of my own depression, but it was very similar to what Elder Holland described. I felt like his advice was quite litterally an answer to many of my prayers. It was a direct message from God to me. I almost felt like that talk was not written for anyone else. I felt like Elder Holland called me into his office and just sat down with me and said, "Elder Romero, we need to have a little chat. God loves you, he's been listening to your prayers, and he's given me this message to give to you." Goodness, I can't describe the awe I was in while listening to that talk.
       Now I must admit my disappointment that Elder Tad R. Callister did not speak. Haha. I am just kidding (kind of). Elder Callister is my hero. He is my favorite General Authority. I was crossing my fingers the whole conference that he'd be given the opportunity to speak. This man is my favorite. His understanding of the apostasy and the atonement absolutely blow my mind. This man is a MASTER teacher and is truly inspired. His talk on the Book of Mormon that he gave a couple years ago is a masterpiece. He is one of my favorites.
      I love the modern day prophets and apostles. If anyone wants to gain a testimony of this Church I'd encourage you to study the lives and the teachings of these amazing men. I have spent a considerable ammount of time listening to and reading about these amazing men. SOME of my all time favorites (in no particular order) would have to be Bruce R. McConkie, Ezra Taft Benson, Joseph Fielding Smith, Legrand Richards, Matthew Cowley, Marion G Romney, Hugh B Brown, Neil A Maxwell, and many many others. I am so intrigued by the life and teachings of Brigham Young. He was an incredible man. However, I don't think that anyone can trump my love for studying the life of the Prophet Joseph Smith. The more and more I study about this man the more and more I fall in love with him. His life was absolutely incredible. He did more in his short lifetime than most could accomplish if they were given many lifetimes. I love studying and learning about all these amazing people. Their lifes are amazing examples of how we should live because they have all patterned their lives off of the life and teachings of Jesus Christ.
 
      David is doing AWESOME! This kid is so great. We met with him last night after conference. He is so serious about finding out if this is true. He knows how it will change his life and he is so ready for that change. I am so happy that Elder Anderson and I found David. I am so glad that we are friends with him and have the opportunity to change his life for the better.
 
      I love the members of the Dallas ward so much. This week we had dinner with one of my favorite families in the ward, the Kelly family. Brother Kelly is a business owner and is extremely successful. He is a very humble and giving man. At dinner I expressed to him my interest in hopefully starting a business of my own and shared with him a couple ideas of my own. He was impressed with my ideas and my enthusiasm. He gave me many great tips on what I should do to start my own business and to be a successful businessman. I am so thankful for the opportunity to have met all the amazing families in the Dallas ward. Each one of them I feel like was placed here just for me. Each one of them has had an affected my life, and I know that each one will have a lasting effect on my life.
 
        Well I love you all so much and hope to hear from anyone who reads this! God is good, the Church is true.
 
-Elder Ryan Romero

No comments:

Post a Comment