Monday, September 16, 2013

Week two in Dallas--Miracle upon Miracle


    Miracle upon miracle. This was an amazing week. John Steele was baptized on Saturday, and it was amazing. His life is going to be changed by this forever. I am so happy for him. Luckily I got to attend the baptism and so did Elder McMahan. John was so glad to have us there. John's baptism was a huge event for him, as it should be, but he made it a great day. He always told Elder McMahan and I that if he got baptized he was going to go all in, that day was going to be unforgettable. He sure made it an unforgettable. John got himself a new suit, a hair cut, invited all his family and friends, and got loads and loads of fried chicken and macaroni and cheese from his favorite restaurant Bojangles. Haha. It was awesome. I am so happy for John and for his wife Peg, they have been waiting for awhile for this. And in one year from today they are going to go to the temple to be sealed. I swear I am the luckiest missionary in the world to be part of these amazing people's lives.
     Elder Anderson and I have just been working and working and working. We have found quite a few new pretty promising people. We found this amazing kid named David. David is about 19 and is interested in engineering! So him and I get along real well. He claims to be agnostic, but is very open and searching. He is a truth seeker. This kid is so smart! Him and I get along so well and we really relate with each other. I love teaching David. We gave him a Book of Mormon last week and he has been reading and really understands it and loves it. He has promised to pray and ask God if it is true. I can tell that he really enjoys talking with me and Elder Anderson. I am excited to see what happens with David.
     Unfortunately Michael was unable to come to Church this week. Hopefully he will be able to make it next week. We are still in contact with him.
      I had a good experience in Sacrament meeting yesterday. The youth speaker didn't show up so in desperation to fill those five minutes they invited me to go up and share a few thoughts and my testimony. Haha. I was very happy and excited to fill those five minutes. I have so much love for this ward. Every member that I have met has just an amazing story, and is so full of charity towards the missionaries. It was so easy to go up there and express my love towards them, because I truly did love them. I had a strange experience while I was up there sharing my thoughts. While up there I could hear myself speaking, but I wasn't really thinking about what I was going to say next. Words were just coming out of my mouth. Generally I am not the most comfortable and eloquent impromptu speaker. But when I got up there and started speaking I realized a genuine change in myself. Words were really being given to me, my mouth was being filled. I realized that I am really not the same person that I was when I left. My testimony of this gospel has increased dramatically. I was saying things that I didn't know or understand when I first came out in the mission field. But now I truly do understand them, and I truly do know them. I talked about love, missionary work, and the atonement. I could tell that I really got through to the members and really made an impact on them. It was a good opportunity to show the ward that I love them, and that I am ready to work and help bring there loved ones into the waters of baptism.
      I am so excited for my future in this area. Thank you for all the support that y'all send me from back home. I love you all so much.
Spiders are big in Atlanta!
-Elder Ryan Romero
John's Baptism


No comments:

Post a Comment