Monday, September 10, 2012

Two months in the Field


Today is my two month in the field birthday. It is crazy to think that it has been two months since I left the MTC. It seems like forever ago, and at the same time it seems like yesterday. When you let the world slip away, time really doesn't seem like it makes sense anymore.

Good news. We found Shaun! Bad news (and kind of good news) he got a job and we are having a tough time meeting with him because of his work schedule. He wants to meet with us but he works about the same schedule as we do. We are praying that we can meet with him as soon as possible. He is such a good guy. He works very hard and is trying to make a better life for himself. He is a prime example of someone who is humble and ready to hear the gospel.

This week overall was a pretty good week. Elder Shelley and I are best buds. Haha. We get along so well. I am so lucky to have had such great companions. We have been trying to get a little creative with the stuff we eat. We both don't like to eat unhealthy stuff so we have been attempting to make our own concoctions... We tried to make some Mexican chicken. I got this recipe from the Spanish Elders. The recipe called for 3 Chipotle peppers... but I like my stuff spicy so I put in 2 cans... Bad idea. I miss my blendtech blender. The blender we have at the apartment is terrible and the bottom came off while I was chopping up the peppers. Our apartment was a mess.

We have a new investigator, and she has a baptismal date! Her name is Gaki. She is from Africa and was once a Jehovah's Witness. She is a great lady and has a huge heart. She is really searching for the truth and looking to get on the straight and narrow. Her baptismal date is Sep 29. We are so excited for her. Her understanding of gospel principles is a little slow due to the language barrier. We have people in the ward that speak her language so we are going to have them come with us to help us out. She is progressing very well though. We are going to get Glovia to be her fellowshipper. Haha, you can't not love Glovia.

I don't have a ton to write in this email. This week kind of just flew by and wasn't super eventful. There were a lot of crazy things that happened on MARTA this week though. A man spraying cologne in his mouth and blowing his beer all over, a woman screaming bloody murder, and everyone dressed like fantasy characters for dragoncon. There has been a couple more weird events but I don't want my mother to worry about me too much. All I know is, public transportation is entertaining.

To end with a spiritual thought I wanted to talk about something I learned this week regarding how to become a better missionary. At district meeting we were talking about Preach My Gospel and how it is different from how they used to do missionary work. PMG focuses on the missionary first rather than the investigator. I realized that Preach My Gospel is meant to build is into better people, therefore making us better missionaries. The best missionary was Jesus Christ. The more like Jesus Christ I can be the better missionary I can be. I shouldn't have my focus to be more like an Elder that I admire. My focus should always be to be more like Jesus Christ. I love the Attributes of Christ chapter in PMG. I am trying so hard to develop those attributes and apply them to my life. I know that if I can become a better person, I will become a better missionary. I have already been able to tell a difference in myself and my attitude towards everything. The atonement of Jesus Christ is real, and is meant to change people and make them better. STUDY IT, and APPLY IT. I challenge anyone that reads this to go and read the Attributes of Christ chapter in PMG and strive to develop those attributes.

I must go now. I love you all so much and hope to have a spiritual filled letter for y'all next week.

-Elder Ryan Romero

No comments:

Post a Comment